The use of virtual private networks (VPNs) for phones has become increasingly vital in ensuring the security of email communications while traveling. With the growing reliance on smartphones for personal and business communication, it’s essential to explore the features and benefits of VPNs in safeguarding these communications.
Understanding VPNs: Features and Functionality
VPNs protect devices at a crucial step—while the device sends out data. Before going online, all traffic is sent to a private server and then passed through a secure funnel to the internet.
One thing to remember is that many Android phones have a built-in VPN client and don’t require additional software to install. Devices with Android 4.0 or later support VPN apps. Here’s how you can find and set up the built-in VPN for Android:
- Navigate to the “Settings” app on your Android device.
- Go to the “Connections” tab. Look for “Connections,” which may also be called “Network and Internet.” You need to select either “VPN” or “More Connection Settings” within the menu before proceeding to the next step.
- Add a new VPN connection. You’ll need to enter the details of your VPN connection, including the VPN name, type (PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, or IKEv2/IPsec), server address, and any required authentication credentials.
- Save and connect. After entering the necessary details, save the VPN setup to your device. Tap “Connect” to establish the VPN connection. The VPN is now ready to use.
Essential Features for Email Security
One essential way to use a VPN is to protect your email communications. A VPN can be side-loaded for Android devices through the file format APK (Android Package Kit). VPN APKs will not typically get listed on the Google Play Store. Instead, the file comes directly from the software provider.
VPNs offer several features that contribute to enhancing email security. These include strong encryption—ensuring hackers cannot intercept email content. Secure protocols, such as OpenVPN and IKEv2, establish a protected connection between the user’s phone and the VPN server. The tool drastically minimizes the risk of data breaches.
One thing to note is that an APK file will not work on Apple devices. Any devices using iOS require a VPN app or an IPA file for downloads. The only exception is if the iOS device is “jailbroken.”
Encryption Methods in VPNs for Android and iOS
VPNs for Android and iOS employ far-reaching encryption methods to enhance email security. These methods include AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with 256-bit keys—widely regarded as one of the most secure encryption options available. By encrypting email content, VPNs ensure that the data remains unreadable and inaccessible to outside parties, even if intercepted.
Public-key encryption is another method available to safeguard email communications. Although not as robust as AES, public-key encryption works with two keys—a public key and a private key. For instance, SSL security encrypts data on sites with SSL certificates. Websites with public key encryption display HTTPS instead of HTTP.
Challenges of Unsecured Email Access Abroad
Not securing your email while traveling poses a multitude of risks. Not only are you risking access to your data, but also potentially putting your business in danger. Hackers have several strategies to target travelers. To remain proactive, you must review the tools that best prevent anyone from getting into your email without permission.
Potential Threats to Email Security
Along with compromising sensitive information, unsecured email puts you at risk for malware and phishing attacks. Hackers develop malicious software to specifically target Android and iOS devices. These threats can result in identity theft, financial loss, and reputational damage. The following are the top issues related to emails that have been unlawfully accessed while traveling:
- Eavesdropping on emails. Cybercriminals have methods to view unencrypted email communications, especially when travelers go onto unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Public places, like airports and hotels, offer free Wi-Fi but don’t typically have the best security protocols in place.
- Phishing attacks. A favorite among cybercriminals is to set up fake login pages or emails to impersonate legitimate contacts or companies. The counterfeit pages will ask for sensitive information, like login names and passwords.
- Malware infections. Unsecured Android and iOS devices attract malicious software attempts. Hackers add the malware through email attachments or links.
- Vulnerable iOS or Android devices. Another threat while traveling is that hackers may target known vulnerabilities in the device. If the phone hasn’t received updates or doesn’t have the proper security patches, it’s easier for hackers to gain access.
Impact of Insecure Emails on Personal and Business Communication
When your email gets compromised, it can affect your personal and professional life. For instance, when a personal email account gets accessed without your knowledge, cybercriminals can impersonate you and send malicious emails from you to those in your contact lists. The hackers could also snoop on your communications and get information about banking, credit card, or shopping accounts.
With regard to your business accounts, unauthorized email access could lead to significant financial losses depending on the information available in the accounts. The email breach may result in confidential data leaks, ransomware attacks, and intellectual property theft.
For example, in 2019, the government of Puerto Rico fell victim to a cyberattack that stemmed from an email breach. Hackers impersonated officials and asked for changes to payment accounts. The attack aimed to extort more than $4 million from the government.
The Necessity of VPN APKs for Email Security
VPN APKs are essential for email security, particularly when using email inboxes on your phone while traveling. Here are the top ways VPN APKs will help secure your email while traveling for work or pleasure:
- Data encryption: VPNs are best known for offering secure data transfers. When you use a VPN and your connection is intercepted by hackers, the data is unreadable.
- Security protocols: VPNs have a range of protocols to choose from to protect email data from criminals. Examples include OpenVPN, PPTP, and WireGuard. The protocols secure and encrypt the data you send or receive. Some protocols work exclusively on devices like Android, iOS, or Windows.
- Masked IP addresses: VPN APKs help mask your IP address to conceal your identity while online. The anonymity makes it difficult for third parties to know where you are or to snoop on your inbox.
- No man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks: An MITM attack occurs when hackers position themselves between a user’s device and a web application or between two communication email servers. With a VPN protecting the connection, the cybercriminal can’t intercept emails or other data.
- Prevention from phishing scams: Phishing scams occur when you receive a malicious email from a falsified company address. The phishing email attempts to gain access to sensitive information by including malicious links or attachments. With a VPN hiding your IP address, hackers can’t gain access to your email.
Global Access with VPN APKs: Breaking Geographic Barriers
One of the significant advantages of using VPN APKs for email security is their ability to enable global access. VPNs allow users to bypass geographical restrictions imposed by local governments and email service providers. The feature helps travelers get into their emails from any location worldwide.
VPN works by routing internet traffic through a different location than the user’s physical location. This feature allows you to get geo-restricted content, including access to TV shows or movies not permitted abroad. Email content blocked in specific regions will also display while using a VPN.
Local Security: Shielding Against Cyber Threats
A surprising feature that VPN APKs offer to travelers is local security benefits. When you’re traveling, you may head into unfamiliar areas. There could also be a language barrier involved. By encrypting data and establishing secure connections, VPNs ensure that emails remain confidential and shielded from interception or hacking attempts from local criminals.
A handful of countries have laws forbidding the use of VPNs. Countries currently with VPN bans include:
- North Korea
VPN and Public Wi-Fi: Ensuring Secure Email Communication
One of the most significant challenges travelers contend with is the use of public Wi-Fi networks. Unfortunately, the networks are often unsecured and vulnerable to cyber-attacks. VPNs enhance security when accessing email communications on phone devices by encrypting data and creating a secure tunnel between the user’s device and the VPN server. The setup ensures email communications remain private and protected, even when using public Wi-Fi networks.
Choosing the Right VPN for Your Phone While On the Go
Choosing the right VPN is crucial to guarantee the security and privacy of your internet activities, including email communications. Evaluate each provider to confirm they offer the following options:
- Reliable security protocols: Not all encryption options are available for each VPN provider. But, the ones that use WireGuard and OpenVPN will usually provide the highest security level. For instance, OpenVPN has an AES-256-bit encryption key—the same type used by government agencies like NASA.
- No recordkeeping: The VPN provider should not store any logs of your online activities while using the resource. The feature is critical when your goal is to safeguard your emails while traveling.
- A vast network of servers: You want a VPN provider with servers worldwide to get around geographic restrictions. Global servers help you access your emails without region-specific errors.
- Fast connection speed: Some VPNs can slow down your connection speed—the last thing you want while traveling. Review your connection speed and look for any enhanced options like split tunneling. Split tunneling allows you to choose which applications to prioritize for faster connections.
- Device compatibility: Review the VPN specifications and ensure it will install and work correctly on your laptop, phone, or tablet. For instance, some VPNs will have a dedicated download for Android devices.
- User-friendliness: The last thing you want to think about while away from home is figuring out complicated software. VPN should be easy to use and set up.
- Kill switch feature: A kill switch is a must-have feature for VPNs. The kill switch is important because you’re instantly logged off the internet if the VPN connection fails.
Important Criteria for Selecting a VPN for Phone
Along with features, you must review the providers’ reputation and the subscription offers they present to customers. Don’t go by price alone to choose a service company. Rely on a well-established brand with clear policies and guarantees on signup pages. Some VPN providers undergo third-party security audits to validate their claims of providing a secure service.
You’ll want a VPN with a customer support option available, too. A responsive customer service team makes all the difference when encountering a problem while traveling. Ideally, representatives should be available 24/7 for assistance.
The cost and available subscription plans also shape your decision on which VPN to choose. While free VPNs exist, features are typically limited and don’t have the same security features as paid versions. A basic VPN subscription plan may only include access to a secure VPN for a select number of devices. More comprehensive plans could consist of malware detectors, ad blockers, and safe file sharing.
Elect to try out a free trial of a VPN if offered. A trial allows you to test out the features on your phone before taking the device on a trip. If satisfied, choose the best payment plan for your budget and needs. Often, subscribing for a year or more will considerably discount the monthly price. Since VPNs promise benefits when not traveling too, a long-term plan is often the way to go.
VPN APK Reviews: Real-World Experiences and Recommendations
Real-world user reviews will help you assess the reputation of the VPN provider. Feedback on the VPN’s performance, reliability, and customer service are things to look for within the review. Here are a few highlighted reviews for well-known VPN APKs:
PC Magazine’s Review: “With a large server network and a remarkable collection of privacy tools, NordVPN is hard to beat. The Android app brings many of the service’s best features, including some unique to mobile.”
LinkedIn’s Review: “NordVPN, ExpressVPN, CyberGhost VPN, Surfshark, and Private Internet Access (PIA) are some of the best VPN services that offer excellent security features and reliable connections. Choose the one that suits your needs and budget and enjoy a secure and anonymous online presence.”
CNET’s Review: “NordVPN is one of the most recognized brands in the VPN field. Part of that brand recognition is based on its distinct, straightforward design. Nord’s app for Android is just as easy to interact with as its desktop VPN client, with a similar design. It poses no learning difficulties for a first-time user looking to move from desktop to mobile.”
Phone users face unique challenges while traveling abroad, making them vulnerable to cyberattacks, such as phishing scams and main-in-the-middle threats. Hackers snoop to find sensitive data that can bring them financial gain. Emails from your personal or work addresses may include passwords, login details, credit card numbers, and more. Cybercriminals could also hack into an email and impersonate travelers for phishing scams or malware attacks.
Thankfully, securing your email while traveling has never been easier. VPNs will enhance the security of your emails to keep you in touch while abroad. With features like data encryption, IP address privacy, and kill switches, you can go online without risking your communications getting into the wrong hands.
- Identifying and Safeguarding PII (Personally Identifiable Information) - February 28, 2024
- Types of Cybersecurity Threats and Vulnerabilities - February 15, 2024
- Klaviyo DMARC, SPF, and DKIM Setup Guide - February 15, 2024