“No DMARC record found”, or simply “no DMARC found” is an error you may come across if your domain is missing the DMARC record. Fixing this error may be as simple as having a DMARC record published on your domain’s DNS.
Similar variations of the same error may be as follows:
- No DMARC record
- No DMARC record found
- DMARC record is missing
- No DMARC found
- Domain missing DMARC record
- DMARC record not found
- No DMARC record published
- DMARC policy not enabled
- Unable to find DMARC record
Domain-based Message Authentication Reporting and Conformance, or DMARC, is an email authentication protocol that can protect your domain from phishing attacks. Email validation systems like DMARC have become increasingly popular in recent years because of the surge in email-based cyberattacks. According to the FBI IC3 Report, phishing was the most prevalent cybercrime of 2021, taking up 22% of all data breaches! This further demonstrates the immediate need for advanced email security measures like DMARC to boost anti-phishing measures.
This article takes you through step-by-step guidelines on fixing the “no DMARC record found” error for your domain by getting a published DMARC record.
Why is a DMARC Record Needed
DMARC plays a significant role in protection against email and domain name impersonation. DMARC assumes popular authentication protocols – SPF and DKIM, and builds on them to validate messages sent from a domain.
DMARC instructs how to respond if an email is from an unauthorized source and fails authentication checks for SPF or DKIM, as shown in the diagram above. Furthermore, with the help of an effective email authentication standard like DMARC, you can improve your email delivery rate, reach, and trust.
With DMARC, you can even monitor your deliverability with the help of XML reports. These reports describe in detail your email delivery path, sending source, IP address and authentication results:
Why is it Important to Fix “No DMARC Found” Error?
It is important to fix the “No DMARC Found” error since email is the easiest way cybercriminals can abuse your brand name, and email authentication is a primary defense mechanism to prevent such email fraud and brand impersonation attempts. This is how a missing DMARC record can impact your business:
- By using your domain and impersonating your brand, hackers can send malicious phishing emails to your own employees and customers. Since SMTP is not retrofitted with secure protocols against fake “From” fields, an attacker can forge email headers to send fraudulent emails from your domain. Not only will this compromise security in your organization, but it will seriously harm your brand reputation.
- Email spoofing can lead to BEC (Business Email Compromise), loss of valuable company information, unauthorized access to confidential data, financial loss, and reflect poorly on your brand’s image. Even after implementing SPF and DKIM for your domain, you cannot prevent cybercriminals from impersonating your domain.
Consequences of Not Fixing “No DMARC Record Found” Error
The negative implications of not fixing the “no DMARC record found” error are as follows:
- Lack of protection against phishing attacks
- Lack of protection against domain abuse and impersonation, including direct-domain spoofing attacks
- Non-compliance with Google’s bulk sender policies
- Non-compliance with Yahoo’s bulk sender policies
- Increased spam and email bounce rates
- Email deliverability issues
This is why you need an email authentication protocol like DMARC to verify the legitimacy of email messages.
How to Fix “No DMARC Record Found” Error in 5 Steps
On encountering the “no DMARC record found” error, you can get your DMARC record created and published on your domain to troubleshoot the error easily. Given below are the steps for automatic and effortless DMARC deployment.
Step 1: Detect the Error
It is important to first find out whether or not the “no DMARC record found” error is present. To do so, sign up on the PowerDMARC portal and inspect your dashboard for registered domains. If you find the “No record found” message on your dashboard, this affirms that the error exists.
Alternatively, you can check your DMARC record with our free DMARC checker tool to confirm the presence of a record or the absence of one.
Step 2: Create a TXT record for DMARC
Create your free account on PowerDMARC and access your portal. You can select our DMARC record generator tool from the Toolbox to start creating your missing DMARC record.
Step 3: Choose Your DMARC Policy
Determine the DMARC enforcement policy you desire to configure from the table shown below.
How to determine your DMARC enforcement policy?
To determine which DMARC policy mode you should choose for the policy parameter (p), you can refer to the table below:
|Zero enforcement/monitoring only
|Review unauthorized emails in the spam folder
|Discard/Not deliver emails
Step 4: Add the Missing DMARC Record to Your DNS
Login to your DNS management console and create a new TXT record for DMARC. The hostname for this record must be _dmarc and you can configure a TTL of 1 hour.
Step 5: Validate the Published DMARC Record
Ensure your DMARC record is valid by passing it through a DMARC checker tool.
Fixing “No DMARC Record Found” Error for Different Service Providers
Steps for adding your missing DMARC record are different for different mail service providers. Here are steps for a few main ones:
1. Deploying DMARC on Cloudflare
- Login to your account
- Click on websites > my websites > DNS settings
- Select TXT as the record type, host record name: _dmarc, TTL: automatic, and paste your record value in the “Value” field.
2. Deploying DMARC on GoDaddy
- Login to your account
- Find your domain under “My products” tab, click on DNS > ADD
- Select TXT as the record type, host: _dmarc, TTL: 1 hour, and paste your record value in the “Value TXT” field.
3. Deploying DMARC on cPanel
- Login to cPanel
- Go to Domains > DNS Editor /Advanced DNS editor/ DNS zone editor
- Click on “manage” for your desired domain and add your record entry by entering the values in the zone editor
Is Adding The Missing DMARC Record Enough?
It can be annoying and confusing to come across prompts saying “Hostname returned a missing or invalid DMARC record” when checking for a domain’s DMARC record while using online tools. Once you have successfully resolved the “No DMARC record found” error and your domain is now configured with DMARC authentication, your work doesn’t end there. It may be exciting to imagine that DMARC is a silver bullet that can resolve all your issues, but it’s not, and here’s why:
Shortcomings of DMARC
- Dependency on SPF and DKIM: DMARC requires SPF or DKIM to work. You must first implement either of the two protocols to start your authentication process with DMARC.
- Reports generated in XML: DMARC reports are generated in XML format, which is hard to read.
- Protection only at an enforced policy: At none policy, DMARC doesn’t offer protection against cyberattacks like phishing or spoofing.
Your Next Steps after Fixing Missing DMARC Error
After fixing DMARC errors, you must make sure that errors like this won’t reoccur. Monitoring your domain and emails is a long-term practice to achieve this, combined with taking the following steps to ensure your email security functions at optimal health:
- Get rid of SPF Permerror by staying under 10 DNS lookups
- Prevent additional email attacks by configuring MTA-STS and TLS-RPT
- Monitor your email deliverability reports regularly to stay on top of any email delivery issues
Overcoming DMARC Weaknesses with PowerDMARC
PowerDMARC’s approach to fixing your “no dmarc found” error is different, and it goes beyond your basic protocol implementation. We address DMARC’s limitations and constraints to provide a well-rounded solution to our customers that helps them make the most of their deployment efforts. Here’s what we do:
100% DMARC Compliance
We align your domains against both SPF and DKIM to achieve 100% compliance in no time.
We convert your XML Aggregate Reports to a human-readable format that everyone can easily understand.
Smooth Transition to Enforcement
We help you make a smooth transition to an enforced policy guided by real-life security experts so you can start protecting your domain against cyberattacks.
We Help You Implement DMARC the Right Way
PowerDMARC helps your organization achieve compliance by aligning authentication standards with assistance from experts. You can shift from monitoring to enforcement safely with us, while ensuring your legitimate emails don’t fail delivery or get marked as spam. Our DMARC analyzer platform features advanced monitoring capabilities that provide the visibility required to troubleshoot DMARC errors in a breeze!
PowerDMARC combines all email authentication best practices such as DMARC, SPF, DKIM, BIMI, MTA-STS, and TLS-RPT, under the same roof. With us, you can automatically update changes to your dashboard without you having to update your DNS manually. We tailor solutions to your domain and handle most things in the background, so that you implement DMARC correctly to help keep impersonation attacks at bay!
Hope we helped you fix the error! If you found our article helpful, feel free to share it with anyone who may be searching for solutions to fix “No DMARC record found” error. Sign up with PowerDMARC to get a free DMARC trial for your domain today – no credit card details needed!
Our Content Review and Fact-Checking Process
PowerDMARC has real-life experience in helping customers overcome the “no DMARC record found” error. This article is based on practical strategies we have implemented during the troubleshooting process. It has worked well for our clients and we hope it will help other people out there fix this issue as well!
- What is Email Authentication? Check and Authenticate Your Emails - February 29, 2024
- How to fix “No SPF record found” in 2024? - February 27, 2024
- How do I fix “DMARC Policy is Not Enabled” in 2024? - December 29, 2023